I used my birth certificate to get my ID card and I now wish to change the order of my names. Can I use an Affidavit to correct this?

In accordance with the advice from the office of the Registrar General, an affidavit can only be used to provide details which does not appear on the Birth Certificate, such as, to add a name or correct spelling errors in the mother’s,   fathers or child’s name. However, a Deed Poll will be required to change the order of the given name/s recorded on the birth certificate.

A Deed Poll for a change of name contains three declarations and by executing the Deed Poll (signing, dating and having your signing witnessed) you are legally committing yourself to:

  • Abandoning the use of your former name;
  • Using your new name only at all time;
  • Requires that all persons address you by your new name only

In summary, a Deed Poll issued will provide you with documentary evidence that you have changed your name, enabling you to get all your official documents and records changed to your new name.

Posted in